Hello,

I have been successful to to convert all chapters of a course to Beamer in
Lyx now.
I would like to share with you the process I have created for this. That
could maybe also help tex2lyx developers.

I have for start an old beamer document in Latex, created in Scientific
Word, so quite polluted by comment lines.

When I directly import this kind of file in Lyx, I get a document quite
dirty and impossible to compile out of the box.
So, I have to clean it up a little bit to get the job done. Under OSX, I
use TextShop for automating, as much as possible, this cleaning, but you
can do it with any text processing tool (even at the command line in Linux
for exemple), that are able to search and replace text Search & Replace
under WIndows, for example).

A/ Cleaning the initial Latex file created by SW in portable latex format
(pure Latex + comments by SW for specific functionality)

1/ Delete all comment lines (SW puts lots of them) (Just search the regular
expression %.* and replace it by nothing or a space

2/ Replace all \begin{frame} by ---Begin-Frame --

3/ Replace all \end{frame} by ---End-Frame --

4/Change  the document class to article (not to get the automatic insertion
of frame commands by Lyx, during the import)

5/ Clean the tables: Group the instructions for each row of the table on a
single line (without a carriage return). That helps a lot the import of the
tables. You will get a lot of problems otherwise.

6/ Clean color instructions (they do not live up to the import process,
strangely)

7/ Import the Latex document in Lyx

B/ Reformatting the text in Lyx

1/ Convert the document  class to Presentation(beamer)

2/ Insert Introduire a EndFrame  style at the end of the document

3/ Replace --Beg-Frame -  instructions by BeginFrame  style instructions
and delete ---End-Frame-- instructions

4/ Reintroduce the color instructions using Lyx's character formatting menu

5/ If you want to do a partial compiling to check the frames you have
corrected, you can insert, in an ERT

\lyxframeend{}\end{document} at the end of the last corrected frame and
before the next BeginFrame style.

That is not a fool proof, neither automatic process, but it is quite
straigthforward  and quick.

If tex2Lyx was better able the conversion of strangely formatted tabulars
(correct syntax, but each  row dispersed over several lines of text) that
would make the process much quicker, since, formatting the rows one by one
manually is not very quick, neither very interesting ;-)

I hope that this can be useful to someone.

Regards,

Murat

--
Prof. Murat Yildizoglu