On Dec 8, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Christopher Menzel wrote:

> Am Dec 8, 2011 um 1:02 PM schrieb Eric Weir:
>>
>> After much searching, and after discovering the location of the LaTeX class
>> and style files with the help of Tools/TeX Information, which I just
>> happened upon, I found the file. It's in the LyX application folder under
>> /resources/layouts.
>>
>> When I search again, again using Path Finder, Finder, and Spotlight, it
>> still doesn't show up. I must be making a mistake somewhere, but I sure
>> can't see what it is.
>
> No mistake; Spotlight ignores a lot of stuff that it patronizingly considers
> lower-level and/or beyond the ken of ordinary users.  You need either to use
> the (very powerful and useful) unix "locate" command from within a terminal
> or a dedicated app like Find Any File. The locate database is not created by
> default in OS X. To do so, and have the OS update it periodically, open
> Terminal.app and enter:
>
> sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Thanks, Chris. Checking out Find Any File I probably discovered why it was not
found: Spotlight doesn't look inside bundles, and LyX layouts are in the LyX
bundle.

Just to clarify, creating the locate database will enable me to use the locate
command?

Thanks again,
Eric Weir
Program and Resource Development ~ Evaluation ~ Writing
Education ~ The Environment ~ Community Development
1111 Clairemont Avenue J3 ~ Decatur, GA 30030
404-636-6142 ~ eew...@bellsouth.net