On 2012-02-10, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable --]

> Hi
> I get the following error whenever I try to add a μ to my document.

> The error I get is:

> of the grain measure was 30\textgreek{m}

> m. The average grain size

> I wasn't able to read the size data for this font,

> so I will ignore the font specification.

It looks like you do not have a Greek font
(TeX font in LGR font encoding) matching the main document font.

> You might try inserting a different font spec;

> e.g., type `I\font<same font id>=<substitute font name>'.

> The method I used to add the character was by inserting a special character
> and then choosing the Greek list of characters and looking for micro/mu.

These are two different Unicode characters
with different replacements:

0x00b5 "\\textmu"                 "textcomp" "force" # µ MICRO SIGN
0x03bc "\\textgreek{m}"           "textgreek" "" # GREEK SMALL LETTER MU

maybe you used the (correct) one in previous attempts
(on my Debian system with german xkbmap, I get the micro sign by pressing
AltGr-M).

Günter