At Stefano's suggestion I'm giving the memoir class a look--or trying to.
Without any formatting my document compiles to pdflatex fine. When I apply the
title environment to my title and attempt to compile t get the following error
message three times:

Undefined control sequence.

and a Case}

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
eew...@bellsouth.net
Decatur, GA  USA

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. "

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe