On Feb 21, 2012, at 5:37 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> Eric Weir wrote:
> > After doing this, and at Stefano's suggestion running texhash, in a 35 page
> > document I have 14 instances of out-of-margin characters. Again, some where
> > there are obvious opportunities for hyphenization but most not.
> >
> > I'm not certain the tweaks are working. I didn't count the instances before
> > installing them, but I definitely recognize some of them, so I suspect the
> > formatting is unchanged.
> >
> > I'm on a Mac. I put the file in  ~/library/texmf/tex/latex
>
> The same if you put the tweaks directly into the preamble?

Much better. Only one out-of-margin. The problem is a URL. Fortunately, it's
the last item in the bibliography.

Several questions: [1] Should I experiment with fonts? I'm using non-tex fonts.
Palatino. Am I possibly missing something in the way of tex fonts? Are there
tex fonts I could add? [2] Should I fiddle with margins? [3]Why did it work in
the preamble but not with the file in texmf?

Thanks very much, Jürgen,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."

- Chief Seattle.