On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:57:52 -0400
Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 03/31/2012 04:11 PM, iustifico wrote:
> > Dear People on the lys-users-list,
> >
> > I am trying to adapt the examples posted in the lyx-wiki
> > <http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/Indexing> to make an index entry point to
> > another one. Like

> > Joe, 1
> > John, see Joe
> >
> > But all

> > Joe, 1
> >
> > See the minimal example and the pdf output for how I adapted the
> > information from the wiki. I am using lyx 2.0.3 on Mac OS Lion.
> >
> > Do I miss something maybe?
> >
> I think we need to update this a bit. What you need to write is:
>      Jimmy|see[ERT]{[/ERT]Joe[ERT]}[/ERT]
> where the ERT stuff means: put the brackets in ERT. The problem is
> that LyX is escaping the brackets for you, which is usually the right
> thing to do, but not here.
>
> Richard

I've found it much, much, MUCH easier to do see and seealso entries in
a separate text file, and then add this to the document preamble:

\input{seealso.inc}

Here is the text of my (very short) seealso.inc for my book "The Key to
Everyday Excellence"

==================================
\index{UTP|see{Universal Troubleshooting Process}}
\index{Jim Barber|see{Barber (Jim)}}
\index{Scan and Exploit!To teach calculus|see{Calculus}}
\index{Justice Coalition!Design discussions|seealso{Skill Transfer
Process->Targeted->Derivation of the Justice Coalition}}

When doing indices, see's and seealso's, be very, very careful of your
font encoding, or you'll get these errors caused by LyX's propensity to
replace pipe symbols with actual LaTeX code. This goes away if you use
T1 font encoding, but in LyX 2.x I can't find where you set that.

SteveT