The parnum format is square bracket, four digits, square bracket

As to the text formatting, it's supposed to be plain - no bolds, different sizes, anything - section titles are supposed to be like the rest, merely in upper case [1] . Interestingly, the one sample provided /does/ show horizontal lines above and below the section titles... (been looking for the last 20 minutes and cannot find that one, sorry...)

Thus no problem as to Class, pretty much anything plain page would do.

Maybe Memoir will be the "fix". I've tried Koma, all sorts of plain and some other assorted (my code was hacked out of hollywood...), but never Memoir. I'll get into it right now.

BTW, I see you're Aggie, Stefano, I am located in Austin myself.

Thank you so much!

Yama

1.-
"the pages of the specification (but not the transmittal letter sheets or other forms), including claims and abstract, must be numbered consecutively, starting with 1, the numbers being centrally located above or preferably below, the text. The lines of the specification must be 1.5 or double spaced (lines of text not comprising the specification need not be 1.5 or double spaced). It is desirable to include an indentation at the beginning of each new paragraph, and for paragraphs to be numbered (i.e., [0001], [0002], [0003], etc.).

It is preferable to use all of the section headings described below to represent the parts of the specification. Section headings should use upper case text without underlining or bold type. If the section contains no text, the phrase "Not Applicable" should follow the section heading."