On 21/04/2012 2:18 a.m., Liviu Andronic wrote:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Alex Vergara Gil<a...@cphr.edu.cu>  wrote:
at all. This is why LyX should have a reference manager. However if you get

Perhaps it _should_ not. LyX has evolved, in the spirit of Linux apps
development, to be very flexible and interact with a myriad of 3rd
party tools (LaTeX, docbook, HTML, Inkscape, various converters,
Sweave, Gnumeric, etc.), and thankfully so. It does not try to do
everything and all, as monolithic Windows programs usually do.
Instead, it delegates many low-level tasks to external programs. If
you have a preference for a reference manager in particular, then use
it to manage your references: LyX will automatically pick up the
changes.

It may be nice, perhaps, for LyX to provide an 'Edit BibTeX refs'
button that would allow to easily launch your preferred reference
manager on your ref library. But that is a different matter.

of users choice and possibilities, and LyX should fit to every user need.

Most certainly not. LyX is a document processor, and as such provides
an efficient environment to author documents. It also provides
facilities to use references. However, it is not in the reference
management business; if you want to manage your references, use a
specialized app (or a text editor).

Regards
Liviu

I don't think its necessary to be prescriptive ("LyX is a document processor"). LyX has developed. It has access to the whole plethora of LaTeX packages of extraordinary diversity (TeX, so I understand, is capable of any Turing machine task, hence any programming task). LyX has its converter mechanism, and separation of what is presented onscreen from what is "printed" (or pdf-ed). And the important thing for me is that I know how to use it (90% at least of my computer time is spent using LyX). I look at all the other programs cluttering my hard disk, that I may have used once or twice over a decade, but for that reason have never mastered. What matters to me now is to have a tool that I know how to use, and that can do a particular job, even if it isn't the best tool for the job. The critical point is that I know how to use it.

Andrew