On 2012-04-23, René Grognard wrote:

>> Can anyone remind me of how to input Greek (polytonic) accents?

There are (at least) 3 ways:

For all methods, you must mark the text in question as "Greek".

a) use the pre-composed Unicode characters in the "Greek extended" block
   (drag and drop from somewhere or use Insert>Symbols).

b) use the "LGR transliteration" which is described in the babel Greek
   documentation http://mirror.ctan.org/info/babel/babel.pdf

   There is no need to use ERT (except, maybe for the tilde character).

   If you start with method a), you can also use the View>Source feature to
   see the translation to the "LGR transliteration" (unless the document
   output encoding is set to Unicode (utf8)).

   Alternatively, you can look in the file "unicodesymbols" in the LyXdir to
   see how LyX maps the Unicode characters to LaTeX code.

c) if you load the "LGRX" extended font definitions for the Greek LGR fonts
   (http://milde.users.sourceforge.net/LGR/) in the latex preamble, you
   can also use standard accent commands (and their extensions) as
   described in http://milde.users.sourceforge.net/LGR/lgrxenc.pdf For
   single accents, this should also work with accent-... LyXfuns + base
   character in the minibuffer or bound to some key.

For quotes that you can drag and drop from somewhere, I recommend a). For
larger input "by hand" without a Greek-Unicode keybord mapping b) might
be more convenient. All methods can also be combined (with some
experimentation).

> A Lyx "newbee" myself I am a long way to have it replacing TeXworks but
> under the latter and pdfLaTeX I use the command \usepackage{psibycus} %

LyX uses Greek fonts in the LGR font encoding instead of the ibycus
encoding, therefore the input conventions differ.

Günter