Hi Gunter, thanks for the help. However, I am still having troubles.

BTW: I am using memoir with Luatex, language is utf8(Xetex), babel
loaded with Greek polutoniko (among others).

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:48 AM, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net> wrote:
> On 2012-04-23, René Grognard wrote:

> For all methods, you must mark the text in question as "Greek".
Done. In my case, Greek (polutoniko)

> a) use the pre-composed Unicode characters in the "Greek extended" block
>   (drag and drop from somewhere or use Insert>Symbols).

Using insert>symbols works, but it is a pain to use. Copy and pasting
from external sources does not. I see the proper greek on screen, but
the characters simply disappear in the pdf.

> b) use the "LGR transliteration" which is described in the babel Greek
>   documentation http://mirror.ctan.org/info/babel/babel.pdf
>
>   There is no need to use ERT (except, maybe for the tilde character).

By "LGR transliteration" I think you mean the following rules in the
Babel document:

But in order for this to work, some characters need to be considered
as letters. These characters are <, >, ~, ‘,
’, " and |.

This is exactly what I was trying to do, but I cannot get it to work. Example:

If I enter

<epim'eleia >eato\~u

and set the language to Greek Poutoniko, this is what I get in the pdf:

 <επιμέλεια >εατο\ῦ

which is unsurprising, since the latex code in View>source is:

\foreignlanguage{polutonikogreek}{\textless{}epim'eleia
\textgreater{}eato\textbackslash{}\textasciitilde{}u}

(You mentioned probelms with the tilde, but not even the breathing
accents are correct. and the Latex looks completely wrong)

If, instead, I enter  \textgreek{<epim'eleia >eato\~u} in ERT, I get
the expected output

>   If you start with method a), you can also use the View>Source feature to
>   see the translation to the "LGR transliteration" (unless the document
>   output encoding is set to Unicode (utf8)).

I am using utf8, so I guess this does not apply.

>   Alternatively, you can look in the file "unicodesymbols" in the LyXdir to
>   see how LyX maps the Unicode characters to LaTeX code.
>
> c) if you load the "LGRX" extended font definitions for the Greek LGR fonts
>   (http://milde.users.sourceforge.net/LGR/) in the latex preamble, you
>   can also use standard accent commands (and their extensions) as
>   described in http://milde.users.sourceforge.net/LGR/lgrxenc.pdf For
>   single accents, this should also work with accent-... LyXfuns + base
>   character in the minibuffer or bound to some key.

I will have to try this once I get method (b) to work.

Thanks,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org