I have experienced unbearably sluggish scrolling and typing in LyX that
after much research I attribute to a poor interaction between Qt 4 and my
NVIDIA graphics card driver.

I solved these issues by starting LyX with:

lyx -graphicssystem raster

I have seen this problem described using both GNOME and KDE with NVIDIA
cards (though there also appear to be unrelated scrolling and typing lag
problems out there). The same fallback helps with other Qt-based programs I
run, but beware that it may cause some rendering glitches (though I have
not seen any in LyX).

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=90821
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148778&page=2

- Thomas