Thanks Richard. Its coming out properly.

I appreciate your help

Great weekend

Shylock Muyengwa | PhD Candidate & Managing Editor
[image: Description: Description:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXAkOYtgovks1LZfC8VrfKeHNxFQKmzf7__-TvJlTLMhjPNR3I]
Office 352.273.4751| Fax 352.392.2435|Home352.846.5459| Google 352.575.0160
Skype shylockmuyengwa
P Before printing this e-mail think if it is necessary.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

>       On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net>wrote:
>>
>>>  On 05/04/2012 03:38 PM, Shylock Muyengwa wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Lyx Users
>>>
>>>  I created a thesis template using a .cls file provided by our
>>> University. I managed to add the new document class to Lyx. I typed up a
>>> short example to illustrate the problem I am facing. If I type text and
>>> insert a TOC, the TOC displays information appropriately. However, when I
>>> add text above the above the TOC, it then  displays the first page of the
>>> thesis and  the abstract (but asks me to define name, title, date)- See
>>> attachment (with-text-above-toc).
>>>
>>>          What's going on is this. If there's nothing before the TOC,
> then \maketitle is not issued, so LaTeX does not try to produce a
> titlepage. If there is, then it does, and then you see the errors you do,
> because you haven't defined certain of the things you need to print the
> title page properly.
>
> If you search for "Please define" in the cls file, you'll find the
> commands you need. You can put these in the preamble, e.g.:
>     \SetFullName{Shylock Muyengwa}
>     \SetThesisType{Dissertation}{
> Etc.
>
> The "LyX way" to do it would be to add these to the layout file. Things
> like this will work:
>
> Style FullName
>         LaTeXType command
>         LaTeXName SetFullName
>         LabelType static
>         LabelString "Full Name:"
>         LabelSep x
>         Margin First_Dynamic
>         InTitle 1
>         Category FrontMatter
> End
>
> Style ThesisType
>     CopyStyle FullName
>     LaTeXName SetThesisType
>     LabelString "ThesisType:"
> End
>
> and so forth for the other commands you need.
>
> Richard

<<image001.jpg>>