On 19 May 2012 09:30, stefano franchi <stefano.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On 5/18/12 7:31 AM, Ray Rashif wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I want to confirm that this is a bug. I've noticed some old threads on
>>> this [1] but I believe it's a little different.
>>>
>>> When the master document includes the bibliography, opening the child
>>> document and adding a citation works. So, while editing, the child
>>> document is aware of the bib database. When compiling for preview,
>>> however, that knowledge is lost and citations are replaced with
>>> "(author?)" and the like. Obviously, there is no reference list for
>>> that child document.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be possible to actually integrate the child document while
>>> rendering? Do not show the references, but do show citations that are
>>> valid (i.e. that exists in the bib included in the master doc). You
>>> can reproduce this with a template [2].
>>>
>> There are various ways to handle this. The problem, such as it is, is due
>> to the fact that, if you compile the child document "standalone", then it's
>> treated as its own document, and not as a child. Option 1 is to compile
>> the master document instead, which you can do from the View menu, and
>> assign a shortcut to do. Option 2 is more complicated, and involves putting
>> a bibliography inset into the child, but protecting it with a LaTeX if-then
>> construct, so that it isn't actually included when you compile the master.
>>
>> So it's not really a bug, but a consequence of how LyX handles children.
>
> Third option:
>
> Always compile from the master document, but include only the child
> document you want to compile. That will bring in the frontmatter,
> probably (depending on how you structured your master/children), but t
> might do what you want. The command is in Document>>Settings

Thanks guys.

Yes, that's correct, I know I can view the master document and that's
what I've been doing. Even though I knew it was inherent due to how
LyX works I perceived it as a bug, simply because I expected the child
to inherit most other stuff (since it can already work with the bib
database while editing).

For now I don't see much of a problem but I don't know how I'm going
to deal with it once I'm in the range of hundreds of pages and a
number of chapters. The last two workarounds mentioned should get me
going, but I think the third option is the best approach since I'd
want the child to inherit everything. A couple pages worth of
abstracts and references shouldn't add that much of a compile time.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1