Ignacio, the best solution is to define a math macro: go to the beginning of
your text and click on
Insert -> Math -> Macro
An ERT box will appear, where you can (re)define your macro.  In place of
\newmacroname type \sen.  In the TeX box type:
\mathop \mathrm{sen}\nolimits
In the LyX box simply type:
\mathrm{sen}

That's all, you'll be able to see the coveted "sen" symbol in instant preview
and the output (dvi, eps, pdf) will also be correctly rendered.

I do that all the time with my texts in Portuguese for mathematical symbols
such as sen, senh, sech, cosech, cotan, cosec, etc.

If you want to use the macros in other docs, save them in, say,
Spanish-macros.lyx and then simply do Insert -> File -> Child Document... to
input (not include) the macros in any other doc.

--
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics