How does LyX handle pdf files to show them with Instant Preview?

In Preferences -> File Handling -> File Formats, any PDF option uses xdg-open
as viewer, which in my case is Okular (using KDE here).

However, when Instant Preview is going to display a pdf image for the first
time, it apparently uses gs (ghostscript) to convert the PDF to EPS first.  On
itself, this is no big deal, but the problem is that for some reason gs takes
a long time converting the image, and when I have a text with a lot of figures,
it can be quite a PITA.

Is there any alternative for me in this case?
--
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics