Ray,

I've solved the problem (not being able to insert citations or references),
thanks to the advice you gave in your June 15 message.

The key to the solution was getting to the important stuff that is buried
in Mendeley Desktop.  Under Tools > Options > Document Details, the
Citation Key must be checked, as you said.  And under under Tools > Options
> BibTeX, the right choices must be made, including the right path to the
location where Mendeley had stored my bib files, again as you said.

The foregoing was made harder than it otherwise would have been because my
version of Mendeley Desktop has no 'Tags' or 'Keywords'.  All the stuff I
needed to fiddle with was under Tools > Options.

Many thanks,

Bill