On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2012, at 4:36 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>
>> LyX comes with support for a lot of external tools, provided that
>> these are installed and that LyX is 'reconfigured' (Tools >
>> Reconfigure). A good place to check which additional packages are
>> supported is the Debian/Ubuntu .deb packages (the 'suggested' list).
>> Another way is to check the 'configure.py' script coming with LyX.
>
> Thanks, Liviu. I'm on a Mac. I found 'configure.py' in
> /applications/lyx.app/resources. It is a very complicated script. I can
> discern references to specific tools in all the code.

The script gives useful information to the trained eye.

> How is this script used?

It is run whenever Tools > Reconfigure is triggered. Otherwise, it can
give you an indication on what external tools LyX supports by default;
you would subsequently need to install them manually.

> Will it help me find the tools you mentioned, "eLyXer for HTML export (to be
> imported into Word) and the LibO-powered export to ODT." [Is the latter a
> separate tool or a second possibility with eLyXer?]

You need to install eLyXer and then reconfigure LyX. Then Export to
HTML will likely use eLyXer. If you install writer2latex and
reconfigure, then you should be able to import ODT documents in LyX.
(Always, to the extent that these tools can process your documents.)
For yet another approach try to import Word-like files try word2lyx
[1], which supports importing .docx documents into LyX.

Unfortunately there is no single, perfect solution. When working with
LyX best is if you can submit your file as LaTeX, (X)HTML or PDF. If
you need to maintain compatibility with MS Word, however, then you
should experiment with all the quirky tools that attempt to deal with
Word <-> LaTeX conversions and find the method that works best for
you.

Good luck
Liviu

[1] http://www.oak-tree.us/2012/03/07/word2lyx01-2/