On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>
>> I have no experience with either in this context, but OOo is already
>> old, and obsoleted by LibO. I guess it is worth giving LibO a shot.
>
> Thanks, Liviu. I'm in scattershot mode right now. Trying things almost
> mindlessly. I guess I don't know how to install converters. I've tried to
> install the LaTeX to RTF converter from /preferences/file handling. I select
> the converter, apply it, reconfigure, restart LyX. When I restart LaTeX to
> RTF doesn't show up in /File/Export, and when I go back to /preferences/file
> handling another converter is selected.
>
> My document is simple. Headings and footnotes. About ten pages. I'd like to
> see if the LaTeX to RTF convertor will handle it.
>
> How do I install a converter?

To install a converter you need to install the external program (e.g.,
as you would install LyX or LibO). For elyxer [1] follow its
installation instructions, for latex2rtf [2]. Then reconfigure LyX.
(If you made modifications to your prefs---converters and file
handling---, you may want to start over with a fresh prefs file, just
to make sure that you didn't break anything.)

Liviu

[1] http://elyxer.nongnu.org/
[2] http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/