________________________________
 From: David L. Johnson <david.john...@lehigh.edu>
To: John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:51:43 PM
Subject: Re: LyX andTeX Live: How to find and link a new latex version?

On 09/01/2012 01:33 PM, John Kane wrote:
Please but in.  I am a newbie with Ubuntu and tend to blunder around.
Basically I have a dual boot Ubutu /Window 7. Some time ago I upgraded from
11.? to 12.04 with apparently no problem.

But the system works fine for other programs, is that right?  There must be
something else amiss.

No problem what-so-ever as far as I can see. I have a few programs I use
regularly - LibreOffice, gedit, R, Firefox,  plus a couple play around with -
EMACS, gnumeric-- and they all install and operate with no problem. Installed
mainly with the software centre or synaptics although I think I updated R
manually from a PPA as the Ubuntu version was outdated.  I did install tlmgr
for 2011  manually following some instructions that Stefano Franco supplied on
the list.

>I have no real idea of what is correct or not-- I lack the
        partly intuitive feel that I had for Windws after years of
        battling
OTOH, I have no idea about Windows.  My last Windows machine was
    version 3.1.

You really have not missed much. My employers supplied Windows and, perforce, I
used it. :(  Still, it beat punch cards but not by much.

Now my students laugh at me when I try to use one in
    class for presentations, so I bring my laptop.

Can you re-describe your basic issue for me?  I did jump in the
    middle of this.  That other guy's suggestion to use "tlmgr" may not
    apply.  I don't have it, either, and I do have Texlive 2012 and a
    newish lyx (2.0.3).

Simple summary:
Wanted to install leadpar; got error message imply that 2011 was out of date.
Discovered that version  2012 was available through the software centre.
Installed from there
No idea where it is and I get results like this:
ohn@john-K53U:~$ which latex
/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/latex

Both synaptics and the software centre report that TeX Live 2012 is installed.
Synaptics fails to find 2011 which is in
/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/latex and working fine with LyX 2.0.2

Thanks

--  David L. Johnson If all economists were laid end to end, they would not
reach a
conclusion.   -- George Bernard Shaw