On 2012-09-19, John Bova wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]

> I'm a complete beginner with LyX, so apologies in advance if this is
> something that ought to be obvious.  Having set the language of a paragraph
> to Polytonic Greek (in an otherwise English document), when I copy&paste
> and/or type input, then try to export as a .pdf, I get the following error
> message:

> LaTeX Error: 'File iso-8859-7.def not found'.

> Can anyone tell me how to find (I think I may have) and install (no idea!)
> this file (or whether this is a symptom of a deeper problem)?

You can avoid this error, if you set Document>Settings>Language>encoding to
some other value than the default "use langauge default" (which uses a
the respective default encoding for every *part* of the document).

I recommend "ASCII" or "latin1".

"Unicode (utf8)" only works if you install Greek Unicode support (e.g.
with the lgrx package (part of texlive-greek in versions with
TeXLive2012) e.g. in Debian/testing or newer Ubuntu versions) and select the
font encodings "LGRx,T1"

Günter