On 2012-09-23, David L. Johnson wrote:
> On 09/23/2012 06:27 PM, Brendan Godfrey wrote:
>> I am using LyX 2.04.  I inserted a bold calligraphy 'J' as an inline
>> equation,
>> and it looked fine.  [The sourece code is $\mathcal{\boldsymbol{J}}$]
>> However, when I viewed the file in pdf format, what appeared was a bold
>> italic 'J' in the default font.  I
> I got that as well, but if I entered \boldsymbol{\mathcal {J}}   it
> worked correctly.  That is, in math-mode, first enter \boldsymbol , then
> within that inset enter \mathcal  then J.

> Looks like a TeX problem (or at least that the order matters in TeX).
> Both look the same in LyX, but not in the pdf.

This is a TeX feature: in contrast to the text font-switching commands,
font commands in math mode (like \mathrm, \mathit, \mathbf, and also
\mathcal) do not change one aspekt of the font, but select a "math
alphabet" based on defaults of the "math version" (\boldmath, \sansmath,
...) set outside the math mode.

See the font guide's chapter on "math fonts" (`texdoc fntguide`) or
http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/isomath/isomath.html#math-font-selection

Günter