On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:21:54 -0300
John Coppens <j...@jcoppens.com> wrote:

> Just to be complete: I have also checked the existence of the xypic and
> preview
> packages...
This starts to look like bugging... My apologies. More info:

I (proudly) wrote my first LaTeX script, using the xy-pic library, and, after
a few trials, it worked! I.e., I could generate the arrows provided by xy-pic,
which seems to prove that everything is install correctly.

I then imported this file in LyX, and there, it didn't get interpreted:
- The \circle were translated, but the \ar was included literally.
If I try to view the DVI (from inside LyX), I get an error:

----------------------------
<xymatrix
LaTeX Font Info:    External font `cmex10' loaded for size
(Font)              <7> on input line 20.
LaTeX Font Info:    External font `cmex10' loaded for size
(Font)              <5> on input line 20.
! Argument of \next@ has an extra }.
<inserted text>
                \par
l.20  {\circ} \& {\circ} \& {\circ} \& {\circ} }
-----------------------------

repeated many times over. Running LaTeX immediately (on my edited file)
I have no errors and the DVI output is correct.

This is that file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[all]{xy}
\begin{document}
Small is beautiful.\\
\xymatrix{
{\circ} \ar[r] & {\circ} & {\circ} & {\circ} \\
{\circ} & {\circ} & {\circ} & {\circ} }
\end{document}