David,

>   My students would testify that many of my notes are far, far more than
> 8-12 months old when I open and "revise" them for the current term, and
> this has never happened to me [except on very, very old files whose format
> is no longer supported directly by lyx].
>

>  Thinking about it the computer that probably produced this file is no
> longer in use, but it wasn't corrupt when last used as I printed out the
> PDF from it, so it has become corrupt sitting on my hard drive.
>
> Well, your hard drive has probably begun to fail, corrupting random areas
> on the disk.  Although disk drives do seem more reliable than they used to
> be, it does still happen.

I think I am going to put it down to just being one of those things, for
now and see if it happens again. I'm not having any problems with other
files, and so far this year, only this file has been a problem. I keep a
note of the revisions I want to make from one year to the next, so I can
just ask students to annotate the hard copy. I don't have time to redo the
document.

Hard drives have all recently had some form of hardware check run on them
in the last few weeks, and this may in fact be the first file to go wrong
with my current computer set up, so maybe its a legacy of a past hard drive.

Thanks,

Graham