I've written a Python script for converting .lyx files to XML.
There's no DTD or schema, but it's a straightforward mapping of .lyx
format to XML.  Things like \being_layout ... \end_layout become
<layout ...>...</layout> and so on.  This is much more faithful a
mapping to XML than LyXHTML, or any of the other XML export formats,
therefore it's much more amenable to transformations via XSLT.  I
think it should be easy to produce an XSL for mapping back to .lyx,
which should also help produce import from various XML schemas
functionality.

Would this be accepted?  Mind if I use a BSD license?

Nico