On 18/12/12 00:01, Nico Williams wrote:

>>> Yes, of course.  However, I think it should be easier to write such XSLs to
>>> map from a
>>> straightforward LyX XML schema than from LyXHTML output.  The latter
>>> depends too much on
>>> the document class and has issues, while the former should preserve
>>> everything about the
>>> original .lyx as much as possible.
>>>
>>> Nico --
>>>
>> And it would be easier for the final user the fact that all converters can
>> operate
>> automatically inside the LyX, instead of calling them, so you would see that
>> copying a MathML
>> equation in LOWriter and then pasting in LyX would result in a LyX equation
>> where you insert
>> them instead of having to convert it to latex using whatever script you have
>> and the copy
>> paste inside an equation box (is there an easier way right now? I think my
>> way is too much
>> omplicated), the same for figures (you don't need to save the image and then
>> load it from
>> LyX, just paste it where you want it) and tables (I think this is a lot more
>> complicated
>> example, but there is XLST converter).
>
> Conversion at the File->Import... and File->Export... level would be just a
> matter of writing
> the necessary XSLs.
>
> Conversion at the cut-n-paste level is not something I can speak to with
> confidence at this
> time.  I'll note only that if the content being pasted is known to be XML in
> some schema then
> LyX could invoke an XSL to convert it to .lyx.

This all sounds very exciting and extremely useful for import / export /
collaboration, but there
is one aspect which I would be missing in an XML file: At the moment, I can
open a .lyx file with
emacs and do change / replace in the .lyx file, when e.g. I have moved my
images around. Or
changing anything formating consistently throughout the text - this is much
more time consuming in
LyX itself. So my question: would this new XML format mean the "good bye" to
the plain text format
of the .lyx file, or would the XML be a new parallel, fully (and I mean fully!)
equivalent and
exchangeable format in LyX? I know that an XML is also a text file, but at
least the ones I looked
into were not nearly as editable as the .lyx plain text?

Nevertheless, I think the XML format, keeping the import/export in mind, would
be a huge step forward.

Cheers,

Rainer