On 15/01/2013 1:03 a.m., Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Andrew Parsloe wrote:
I notice when I press the double-quote key in a LyX-Code environment
that LyX displays slanted double quotes, nor does there seem to be any
shortcut specified to produce straight double quotes.

Straight quotes are bound to Shift+" in the standard setting (cua).

Jürgen

I use the cua bindings (& Windows Vista). On my present keyboard, & I think previous ones, the single & double quotes use the same key, " being Shift+', but LyX interprets this as smart double quotes. The single quote is not interpreted as a smart quote: Alt+Shift+' gives a smart single quote.

I see in cua.bind:

\bind "~S-M-quotedbl"         "quote-insert single"
\bind "~S-C-quotedbl"         "self-insert \""

What does ~ signify here?

Andrew