On 2013-01-16, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2013, 00:11:05 schrieb Paul A. Rubin:
>> It's some sort of font issue. I replicated the problem with your
>> document here, then changed the Roman font from Palatino to Times Roman
>> and got the expected output. I suspect the mathpazo package may not
>> contain the needed glyph.

Mathpazo includes (part of) fixmath.sty by the same author. This means that
selecting a math alphabet affects both Greek and Latin letters.

In contrast, with CM or Latin Modern, the default LaTeX behaviour is kept:
Greek letters behave like non-letter symbols and do not change inside a
\math... alphabet:

In the following minimal example:

\documentclass{article}
% \usepackage{lmodern}
% \usepackage{mathpazo}

\usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
\usepackage{isomath}

\begin{document}

$VIC \Gamma vic \gamma \varepsilon$

$\mathrm{VIC \Gamma vic \gamma \varepsilon}$

$\mathbold{VIC \Gamma \varepsilon}$

\end{document}

the Greek letters inside \mathrm{...} are still italic with
\usepackage{lmodern} and garbage characters with mathpazo.

The only package that supports upright Greek characters via
\mathrm{\alpha ... \Omega} is mathdesign in combination with isomath.
For details see the isomath documentation.

G√ľnter