On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:36:55 -0800
> Jane Shevtsov <jane....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Scott Kostyshak
> > <skost...@princeton.edu>wrote:

> > > but is

> > > Hi Jane, could you please send post a Minimum Working Example? See
> > > http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/MWE
> > >

> > Here's an example of what's happening now.
> Hi Jane,
>
> I understand that you don't want problems to continue the numbering of
> the previous section, but if you reset them, reset them to what? In
> your example, if you reset the major number to 2, then numbered section
> 2 would be 3, which I doubt you want.

I'm not sure what you mean. I just want problem numbers within each section
to start at 1.

Personally, I'd have a different numbering system for lab sections, so
> instead of environment Section *, I'd have an environment Lab
> that has its own counter, and an environment Labproblem that acts the
> same way as the Problem environment you currently use in environment
> Section except is prints and increments the counter for Lab.
>
> By the way, you did the right thing making your own Problem environment
> instead of using Subsection.

Thanks, but I actually didn't. That's a downloaded package. (I only use
Subsection for actual subsections of the text.)

How would you make a Lab or Labproblem environment?

What you're doing with Section and Section* right now are things those
> environments were never intended to handle. Sure, you can get close,
> but ultimately something will go wrong because those environments were
> meant to handle normal document headings at the level just below
> "Chapter".

That's exactly how I'm using them. I didn't put a Chapter heading in the
minimal example, but the actual textbook has six chapters with several
sections in each.

Thanks,
Jane

Jane Shevtsov, Ph.D.
Mathematical Biology Curriculum Writer, UCLA
co-founder, www.worldbeyondborders.org

“Those who say it cannot be done should not interfere with those who are
doing it.” --attributed to Robert Heinlein, George Bernard Shaw and others