I would really love to be able to conveniently edit the TeX code directly - I'd be vastly more productive. I find lyx gui editing - as all other math editors - to be terribly frustrating and unproductive. I used LaTeX since 1980s, and the lack of this is the only thing that makes me think twice before deciding to use
LyX instead of just using LaTeX.

Attached there is a MWE of how to produce this forms in LyX (is in spanish but the idea remains for every language).

HTH, if anyone is so kind to translate this and upload to the wiki please be welcome

Alex