Hello:

When exporting a lyx file (eg. to pdf) lyx tries to save the exported file in
the same directory where the lyx file is located. If the user doesn't have
write permission to that directory exporting fails. For example I tried to make
pdf from the lyx manual I opened from the help menu, but saving the pdf failed
since I don't have write permission to the lyx directory path.
One solution is to copy the lyx file to my own directory but depending on
complexity of the document it might be necessary to copy other files as well.
In case of lyx documents this includes dummy lyx files, clipart images, and
images, that is files from at least 3 different directories. It is very tedious
and requires several unsuccessful export tries until all necessary files are
copied to the proper place.
Other solution would be if the user could select a directory where the exported
file is saved. Is there such an option in lyx?
If not, I suggest that it should be implemented.

bcsikos