Am 19.04.2013 um 07:07 schrieb Grant Jacobs <nzi...@gmail.com>:

> I'm using LyX 2.0.5.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

Hi Grant,

> Spell checking is stubbornly refusing to work :-(
>
> None of the three options work (Native, Aspell, Hunspell).
>
> Have tried installing Hunspell (I would prefer to use the system
> dictionaries, but selecting 'native'  for the dictionary doesn't work so
> have tried this to get *something* to work.)

LyX's spell checker on Mac supports
* Native - the OS service.
* Hunspell - builtin alternative including the dictionaries.
* Aspell - builtin alternative without dictionaries.

> Have put aspell-type dictionaries in what "sound" to be the right places
> (there seems to be no  documentation for how to do this for OS X).

Aspell dictionaries can be installed with mac ports and should be found after
doing so.

> LyX persistently, and maddeningly, informs me that it can't find
> dictionaries. Can't find out where  it's looking so don't know where to
> check. (Documentation for Linux says to try 'lyx -dbg files' to learn
> this but on OS X 'which lyx' draws a blank.) And so on...
>
> Any thoughts?

The debug output is placed in the message pane.
You may enable and configure it with View -> Messages.

> (I know about running 'Reconfigure'. There appear to be no good
> instructions anyway for installing dictionaries on OS X -- there is a
> brief account of how to install the hunspell *software*, but nothing
> about *dictionaries* for OS X that I can find.)

There is not need to install dictionaries.

The spell checker uses the language of your text markup. This should simply
work.

Can you please send me an example document for non-working spell check?

Regards,
Stephan