Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 08:02:47 -0500
Subject: Re: LyX on PC and Mac
From: stefano.fran...@gmail.com
To: landronim...@gmail.com
CC: pandy1...@hotmail.co.uk; lyx-users@lists.lyx.org

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Andrew Rodgers <pandy1...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,

> I hope this is the right place to ask this question, if not, then I

> apologise.

> I would like to know how compatible the Windows and Mac versions of LyX are.

Very.

> Is it easy to start writing a LyX document on one platform and then save it,

> open it on the other platform, and continue to work on it. Also, are there

> any common problems associated with doing this? Any information you can give

> me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Editing should just work. Compiling to LaTeX is a different matter and

will depend on the local LaTeX distribution.

Hi Andrew,

I'd like to expand on Liviu's and Richard's answer. If you are already
well-versed with LaTeX, ignore what follows. Perhaps it may help other users
with similar questions.

LyX files will be perfectly compatible across different operating systems. You
will be able to move them across platforms without ever worrying about losing
anything. However, things get more complicated when you want to produce a pdf
file from LyX. LyX converts  its source file to a  Latex file and then compiles
it into pdf with the help of the local TeX installation. TeX is a very large
system including literally hundreds of package and it is always possible that
the installation on one platform lacks some packages present on the other one.
Sometimes you may get errors because the two platforms you are working on have
different versions of the same package(s) installed. I use LyX on 4 different
machines (2 Linux, 2 Macs) and I periodically need  to spend some time managing
the four TeX installations and keeping them into a reasonably synchronized
state. You'll have less problems if you stick to standard LaTeX engines,
classes,  and packages. Be prepared to invest more time if you decide to use
"cutting-edge" portions of the TeX system (i.e. LuaTeX, Biblatex, etc.)

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125

Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org