On Sat, 25 May 2013 15:24:22 +0200
Stephan Witt <st.w...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 25.05.2013 um 13:56 schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann
> <engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de>:
>
> > I have compiled lyx 2.0.6 according to
> >
> >     1) ./configure
> >        configures LyX according to your system.
>
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> it's not a good idea to build in source tree.
>
> You should make a separate build directory to build LyX. Like that:
>
> $ mkdir lyxhome
> $ cd lyxhome
> $ tar xfz ${download_dir}/lyx-2.0.6.tar.gz
> $ mkdir lyx-build
> $ cd lyx-build
> $ ../lyx-2.0.6/configure
> $ make
> $ src/lyx
>
> Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Why is what you did above any better than ./configure; make; make
install from lyxhome itself? I didn't even know the separate build
directory could be done. Do you recommend the separate build directory
for compiling all programs where you need
to ./configure;make;make_install?

Once upon a time I built LyX in such a way that make distclean and make
clean didn't take out ghosts of compiles past, and I had to rm -rf and
tar again:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg62008.html
Could doing it your way, with a separate build directory, avoid that
problem? Is that why you're recommending it?

Thanks,

SteveT