Hi all,

I have no doubt the HTML exporters in LyX are exactly what I want to
make an eBook. A simple, mostly text website? Not so much. I was unable
to change <div to <p in my layout file -- it remained <div regardless
of how I set HTMLTag. There were other things that meant I'd need to do
a lot of cleanup before a quickly typed LyX doc turned into a quick and
dirty HTML doc I could maybe modify slightly and then throw up on the
web, and that's just what I want for web page editing.

Just to make it clear, this is my personal itch and I'm going to do it.
But just in case others enjoy what I create (I created VimOutliner as a
personal itch and we saw how that turned out), I'd like to, to some
degree, know LyX best practices, or if those are to difficult for me,
LyX decent practices.

This will NOT be YAHC (Yet Another HTML Converter). It will be a small
subset of LyX's capabilities, purposed not to turn a document into
HTML, but to turn LyX into a quick to use HTML authoring tool for HTML
web pages. It will in no way try to replace the existing HTML
Converters, and from what I've seen so far, the existing HTML
converters would have a hard time replacing what I'm trying to make.

Due to my schedule, I can't start it til July. My plan of
attack is to start it as a separate shellscript that first exports to
LaTeX, and then turns the LaTeX into HTML, which should be fairly easy.
The first version will be a Vim/EX script -- these are what I use to do
complex text reformatting in one day, and they help me understand the
various steps that need to be done. The second step will be an
equivalent shellscript that's primarily a pipeline with bunches of grep
and sed commands, perhaps with some hand coded stuff thrown in.

The final version will be mostly hand coded. I could easily do it in
Lua, C or Python, and could be persuaded to do it in Perl or Ruby. Am I
correct in assuming that Python is the LyX project's scripting language
of choice, and stuff like what I'm talking about is preferred to be in
Python over C?

Thanks,

SteveT