On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 10:18:52 -0400
Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On 07/05/2013 08:04 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> > export to a form will work right as an ePub, as well
> > as collecting table of contents info to make it easy to create your
> > toc.ncx. I've written it in Python because I understand that's the
> > project's favorite non-C++ language. Once I'm done with this, I'll
> > do the same thing with the LyX's XHTML export.
>
> For what it's worth, my own view is that this is the wrong approach.
> What exactly LyX exports when it exports XHTML can change, and does
> change, as it is improved, and I would suppose the same is true of
> other tools. The right approach would be to improve the XHTML export
> itself (which is part of LyX).

You very well could be right Richard. It would certainly be better
for ePub authors to choose Export->ePub than choose Export->HTML and
then outside LyX run my program.

The reason I'm doing it the way I'm doing it so there will be a
solution in a few days, without my needing to learn the internals of
tex4ht and eLyXer, or the project's need to incorporate it. If my code
is good, and my code is licensed right, it very well could be that I or
someone else can tear chunks out of my code and put them in LyX or
eLyXer or make a shellscript or whatever.

I just looked up the licenses of LyX and eLyXer. LyX is GPL 2 or
greater at the user's option, which is probably compatible with the
GPL2 and only GPL2 I would use. eLyXer is GPL3 or greater, so I don't
think my code could be incorporated. Perhaps I could license it user's
choice of GPL2 or GPL3 (without the "and later", without knowing in
advance what that "later" would agree to). I'll check with some of my
buddies.

Worst case I'll write a doc how to use my stuff on eLyXer produced
stuff to produce the HTML part of an ePub plus the ePub's toc.ncx.

Thanks,

SteveT