On 08/08/2013 01:19 PM, curtis osterhoudt wrote:
I *like* the way LyX handles it. I give my equations labels which _make_sense_ to me as a physicist---like "Poisson-Eqn"---not having to coddle to the structure of the paper. If I want to refer to the equation 20 pages later, I don't have to go back and find the number and adapt the label or the references, nor do I have to worry about renumbering if anything changes. The cross-reference system built into Lyx/LaTeX takes care of that.

My only objection is the (perhaps apocryphal, but lodged in my brain since I've used LyX for about a decade now) requirement/suggestion to put dashes in place of spaces in one's labels.

Yes, LaTeX regards the space as separating tokens, and as things now are labels get entered as raw LaTeX, not as something that gets processed by LyX. So no spaces. That, however, would be easy to fix.

Richard