On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:40:48 +0000 (UTC)
Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net> wrote:

> On 2013-08-10, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I need your help. Could you please point me to the best web
> > resources I'd need in order to understand LaTeX's "if" statement?
>
> The "raw" if statement is provided by TeX (not LaTeX) and therefore
> has a different "look and feel" as well as philosophy and working.
> Read about it in the excellent "TEX BY TOPIC, A TEXNICIAN’S REFERENCE"
> from VICTOR EIJKHOUT.
> http://www.eijkhout.net/texbytopic/texbytopic.html
>
> For a more LaTeX-like layer, have a look at the ifthenelse package
> http://www.ctan.org/pkg/ifthen, well documented, try `texdoc ifthen`.
>
> Günter

Thanks Günter,

I decided to use TeX's ifx statement. It sux that there's no elsif, but
it's reasonably useable, and if you need complex logic you can do it
by flipping flags.

I just downloaded the book you suggested. Personally, I like TeX more
than LaTeX for much the same reasons I like C better than C++. So this
book will be very helpful for me. I already have a fairly good idea
*how to use* TeX, this book gives me the "whys". Thanks for the great
suggestion.

SteveT