On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:19:34 -0400
Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On 08/29/2013 03:59 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Ken Springer <snowsh...@q.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Much like the speakers in a sound system, it occurs to me the
> >> actual quality of the printed output from a LyX document will
> >> depend on the quality of the printer being used.
> >>
> >> Right or wrong?  If wrong, why?
> >>
> > Well, kind of. Of course the printing quality will depend on the
> > quality of the printer and the paper that you use. But once exported
> > to PDF, the typesetting quality of your document should be
> > rock-solid, whichever printer you use.
>
> Obviously, a low resolution printer will give worse printed output.
> This is especially true since the fonts used are (usually) vector
> fonts.
>
> That said, my two books /Frege's Theorem/ and /Reading Frege's
> _Grundgesetze_/ were both printed, by the publisher, from a PDF I
> provided. And they look great, if I do say so myself. I assume they
> used very good printers!
>
> Richard

Sort of on topic: After becoming dissatisfied with the 26 minute print
time, on my new Brother MFC-8810dw 40ppm printer, of my book "Manager's
Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
(http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/mg.htm), I set the print
resolution down from 1200x1200dpi to 600x600dpi (11 minutes, yeah!), my
admittedly old eyes could find no appreciable difference in the print,
except for an almost imperceptable lightening at 600dpi. But the images
were another matter: They looked better at 600 because 1200 showcased
the mistakes and pixellations of the artwork itself.

To bring this back to on-topicness, the print resulting from LyX looks
good at any resolution, always assuming you pick a good font for
printing (I like Century Schoolbook).

Thanks,

SteveT