Scott, thanks to you I've found the trick.Never realized I could find the issue
viewing the Messages log :)For those out there who are having the same issue:
there is no solution.LyX tries to find the CAS_names.exe at the pointed
dir.Since Maxima runs in Windows as wxMaxima.exe through a .bat file, there is
simply no way to do it.I also failed to do the same with Maple.But it worked
with Mathematica :)Mathematica 9 has a Mathematica.exe, which indeed IS the
very core.So, just point to, (usually, under win7) "C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\9.0\" at "Path prefix" under Tools -> Preferences ->
Paths. Save it and CAS -> Mathematica should work fine ;)