LyX,

>> > LyX does not scale the graphics. It uses whatever is on the clipboard, but
>> > maybe there is some scaling happening in qt. Did you try to paste the
>> > graphics in a different application, e.g. gimp? If that does not preserve
>> > the resolution the problem is with copying the graphics to the clipboard.
>> > Otherwise it is in LyX or qt, and one would need to debug.
>
> Good suggestion Georg.
> Attached are pdfs from LyX and from Word. Same clipping from Preview. The
> resolution in the LyX-produced file is much less. So something happens when
> LyX pastes the clip and I save it as a png in that process. I would consider
> this a bug (if LyX or qt is another issueŠ).

>> > Strange. Does the distortion come from different x/y scaling factors in
>> LyX,
>> > or is it also visible in the created .png file?
>> >
>> > Georg

Update:
The windows skewness seems to be related to that file. Tried a new one now
and it works. (Could have be due to the fact that the only selection I can
find in Windows reader on Windows is select all, so the entire [one page]
file was copied).

The image pasted from LyX is 72 dpi. I suspect that the copying and saving
via LyX somehow mixes up the file resolution and the resolution on the
screen. Can't really be the fault of Preview since it works in Word, so
should be a qt or LyX bug.