David,
I cannot tell for Maxima, because I have never used it under Windows, but
for Maple I am pretty sure, there is normally an exe for the server, but I
do not remember if it lives in another foder that win.exe. My experiments
were with Windows XP, and the server was a Dos program, executed in text
mode in a console. In more modern versions of Maple and Windows, I am not
sure that this separation is kept. Sorry for not being more helpful. Maybe
a user of Maple under Windows 7/8 could help. Under OSX, both maxima and
Maple can be used as a CAS for simple computations (I have just checked
again to bu sure).