On 05/09/2013 5:59 AM, Csikos Bela wrote:
Julien Rioux <jri...@lyx.org> írta:

On 05/09/2013 5:08 AM, Csikos Bela wrote:
Jane Shevtsov <jane....@gmail.com> írta:

Hello:

I&#39;m trying to format an article for submission to PLoS One.
I&#39;m using their BiBTeX style sheet (http://www.plosone.org/static/
plos2009.bst) and the bibliography works fine but I get &quot;
(author?)&quot; errors in the text when trying to cite an article as
Author [ID]. Apparently, this is because their style file isn&#39;t a
Natbib style,

No, this is not correct. That style is a natbib style. It was made by
custom bib which supports natbib. The beginning  of the bst file indicates
this:

"%%

%% This is file `PLoS.bst',

%% generated with the docstrip utility.

%%

%% The original source files were:

%%

%% merlin.mbs  (with options: ..."

Hmm? The fact that it is generated by a tool that /can/ produce fully
compatible natbib styles does not make this style a natbib style. It is
a plain LaTeX style, with no additional packages required, just like
plain.bst or unsrt.bst, so let's not call it something else. Natbib
/will/ be able to use it to produce purely numerical citations, but the
same is true for the standard plain.bst or unsrt.bst, and one wouldn't
call those "natbib" styles.

OK, of course you're right in that sense. I only wanted to emphasize
that this bst works with natbib package. It is a natbib compatible
style.

Let me ask which styles would you call then natib style? Only those
ones which come packed with the natbib package?

Rough answer: those that require \usepackage{natbib} (and nothing else will do).

Technical answer: those that produce \bibitem in natbib's syntax:

\bibitem[Author 1 et al.(2013)Author 1, Author 2 and Author 3]{...}

That includes not only the styles shipped with the natbib package, also generated ones.

There are many other syntaxes for \bibitem, invented by other packages: natbib will understand most of them, but it then might be feature-limited.

Cheers,
Julien