If you can comment what and why was changed I can include it into docs as well.

ok.

xdvi:
        inverse search:
                Tools->Preferences->File Handling->File formats
                 xdvi -editor "lyxeditor.sh %f %l"

In the docs: xdvi -editor 'lyxeditor.sh %f %l'
With single quotes it doesn't work (at least, for me)

        direct search:
                Tools->Preferences->Output->General
                 xdvi -nofork -sourceposition "$$n $$t" $$o -editor "lyxeditor.sh %f
%l"

"-nofork" part is needed because of the pipe?

I guess: the point is that without -nofork if you have xdvi already open, lyx starts a new instance every time you execute direct search.
I also addedd the -editor option.

okular:
        inverse search:
                Tools->Preferences->File Handling->File formats
                 okular --unique

I'm not using okular, --unique should be default for inverse search purposes?

The default just says "okular" and the same in the following: I don't know wether it adds any option or not, but to have the correct behaviour without multiple instances of okular I had to specify these by hand.

        direct search:
                Tools->Preferences->Output->General
                 okular --unique "$$o#src:$$n $$f"

Pavel