On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Christer <cb...@telia.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How does LyX work with Windows 8?

I use it with XP and Windows 7, so I'm not sure, though I think it probably
works fine. My guess is the OS is not really the direct source of the
problem you are having.

I tried to make a  a paper with the tufte handout document class on a
> computer with W8
> but I got error reports a "?.sty" file was missing, I saved the LyX-file
> and opened it on a computer with Windows XP and then it worked without
> problems.

It's hard to be 100% sure with only the information you've provided, but it
sounds like a problem with the TeX installation or configuration. *.sty
files, or "style files" are managed by the TeX/LaTeX package manager. On
Windows, that is usually the MiKTeX package manager. If you've got it
configured to install packages "on-the-fly" it should work with no
intervention, but there will be a little delay creating your .pdf the first
time because it will need to download some new files. If you don't have
MiKTeX configured to automatically download packages, then you have to see
what the name of the missing *.sty file is, search for it in the package
manager, and install it manually.

It sounds like the MiKTeX package manager on the XP computer is either
configured differently or has had the necessary packages already installed,
whereas on the Windows 8 machine, something is different.

I think it was the stable version of LyX on both computers.

If this isn't enough help to solve the problem for you, it would be good if
you could provide additional information about what your LaTeX manager is,
and the exact versions of LyX running.

> MVH C.Bournonville
>

> Jacob
  • Windows 8 Christer