On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:06:21 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Am Sonntag 29 September 2013, 12:51:39 schrieb Steve Litt:
> > Where can I find instructions telling me how to use Liberation Mono,
> > Liberation Sans, and Liberation Serif in LaTeX and LyX? These are
> > completely free software equivalents of Courier New, Ariel, and
> > Times New Roman respectively, and I use them a lot to limit legal
> > entanglements.
>
> I suppose you need to use XeTeX or LuaTeX (i.e., "non-TeX fonts") in
> order to use Liberation fonts with LaTeX.
>
> If you are looking for good, free alternatives for the mentioned
> commercial fonts, have a look at the TeX Gyre fonts
>
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/tgtermes/
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/tgheros/
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/tgcursor/
>
> > Also, does anyone know a free and open equivalent of Century
> > Schoolbook, and how to install it for LaTeX and LyX?
>
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/newcent/
>
> Bot the TeXGyre fonts and newcent will be natively supported by LyX
> (via Document > Settings > Fonts)
>
> Jürgen

After an hour of searching, I'm having a little trouble here. I
download a font. Now...

* Where do I put the downloaded file?
* By what procedure do I install it so LyX/LaTeX sees it when I check
  non-TeX and open the dropdown?
* Where can I find detailed info on exactly how to use fontinst? The
  man page is useless, and I found little on the Internet.
* I'm supposed to use fonttool, and I installed it on my Ubuntu 12.10
  box, but there's no program called fonttool, and no indication
  anywhere as how to use fonttool.

Thanks,

SteveT