Am Sonntag 13 Oktober 2013, 09:07:46 schrieb Anthony Campbell:
> Many thanks for the reply. I found those settings on the Net yesterday
> and yes, they do fix the problem. I didn't know about microtype but I
> will load that as well.

Microtype does some micro-typographic polishment, most notably "margin
kerning" and "font expansion". These generally lead to a better inline-harmony
and thus often avoid overfull lines.

Quoting from http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb22-3/tb72thanh.pdf

"Margin kerning is the technique to move the characters slightly out to the
margins of a text block in order to make the margins look straight. Without
margin kerning, certain characters when ending up at the margins can cause the
optical illusion that the margins look rather ragged. Margin kerning is
similar to hanging punctuation, but it can also be applied to other characters
as well. When used with appropriate settings, this extension can help to
considerably improve appearance of a text block.
Font expansion is the technique to use a slightly wider or narrower variant of
a font to make inter-word spacing more even. A font that can be expanded thus
has some ”stretchability” and ”shrinkability”. The potentiality to make a font
wider or narrow then can be used by the line-breaking engine to choose better
breakpoints."

Jürgen