On 2013-10-30, Tatu Rajaniemi wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm a new user of LyX and I have a weird problem with the vertical space
> above
> equations. Some equations were displayed correctly in my document but in one
> particular part the space above equations was too small. So I googled a bit
> and added

> \AtBeginDocument{
> \setlength{\abovedisplayskip}{5ex}
> \setlength{\abovedisplayshortskip}{5ex}
> }

> in the LaTeX preamble (the space is big just to see if it works). The
> space was changed in all the other equations but the one section that I
> had problems with.

One common problem with display equations in LyX is, that from the LyX
window it is not entirely clear, whether the equation starts a new paragraph
and whether a new paragraph follows, i.e. if the LaTeX produced is:

   text before equation
   \[ 1 + 1 = 2
   \]
   same paragraph as before.

or

   end of paragraph

   \[ 1 + 1 = 2
   \]
   same paragraph as equation

or

   same paragraph as equation
   \[ 1 + 1 = 2
   \]

   new paragraph

or

   end of paragraph

   \[ 1 + 1 = 2
   \]

   new paragraph

Especially with "parskip", this will heavily influence the spacing around
the equation, but also with paragraph separation by indentation, there
may be strechable space between paragraphs.

You can easily check with View>Source or by removing/inserting <Space> or
<Return>.

Günter