On 11/06/2013 10:00 AM, stefano franchi wrote:

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org <mailto:sp...@lyx.org>> wrote:

    2013/11/6 stefano franchi

        My questions are:

        1. is the LaTeX code the best way to achieve the desired
        effect or is there some package that allows manipulation of
        labels in itemized and, even better, enumerated list? A quick
        search did not turn out anything, but the LaTeX universe is large

        2. Is there a better way to produce the LaTeX code above in
        LyX? (I would be the first to admit that it looks like an ugly
        hack).

    In LyX 2.1, you can use Insert > Custom Item. In LyX 2.0, LaTeX
    code is probably the best approach (there are packages for
    customizing the labels of whole lists, such as the enumerate
    package, but this is not what you want).

Thanks Jürgen.

I am still on 2.0.6 for production purposes so it looks like I'll have to live with the LateX code.

BTW: I was asked to submit a draft of the text raggedright and a simple reformatting of the whole body text though LyX Edit>>Paragraph settings (which resulted in every paragraph being wrapped in the flushleft environment) broke the code. The pdf output nows shows un unformatted (monospaced) [2'.] label for the item's label (including the square brackets). Not a big deal in thi sparticular case (it was just a one-off draft the editor wanted to see for some particular reason), bot good to know for the future.

The easiest way to get this is just to put:
    \raggedright
in ERT at the beginning. Works for me, anyway.

rh