[sorry, accidentally replied directly instead of to the list]

On 11/21/2013 03:32 AM, Richard Heck wrote:
> The only thing I can think of, as things now are, is to run some script
> (you can use python, since we know that should be installed) that would
> automatically add the relevant lines to the user's preferences file. Of
> course, then you have to find that file, and I'm not sure if there's a
> totally portable way to do it. Many users wouldn't even be able to find
> it themselves. But you could at least check the standard locations.
>
> Richard

Ah, okay. I guess I was hoping for some kind of mini-settings file that
would only add or modify those specific lines when dropped into a
folder. Another thing some extendable programs use is a scripting API
(eg Gimp uses Python, VLC has Lua, etc.), which might then provide
commands like "lyx.config.converters.add(from, to, command, options)" to
let plugins mess around with settings while wrapping the internal logic.

Those might be cool features for some remote future version, though I
have no idea how much demand there would be to justify them.

Cheers,
Christoph