On Dec 10, 2013, at 4:04 AM, Rainer M Krug <rai...@krugs.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Sometimes it is useful to highlight all occurrences of the search term,
> e.g. when navigating to locations in the text where a certain term
> occurs. Is this possible in LyX? I couldn't find anything in the
> search dialog.
>
> I am only referring to highlighting on the screen, not the compiled
> document.
>
> Is there something I have overlooked?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer

This is indeed a useful function. However, there is another function that
achieves similar results and in some ways is better.

It works like this: Once the Find function finds its first result, pressing a
specified key combination takes you to the next result no matter if the Find
dialog window is open or not--there is no need to constantly mess with the Find
dialog or remove your fingers from the keyboard to re-open it or to click a
button.

To find the previous occurrence of the find-string, press another key
combination. One way that this is superior to the highlight-all approach is
that the screen is scrolled for you. In the highlight-all approach, scrolling
to the next or previous find result can be difficult especially when the
results are far apart.

When this functionality is combined with the ability to pass selected text to
the Find function with still another key combination (without the need to copy
the selected text, open the Find dialog, paste the selected text, then click
some more to search forward or backward), the searching process becomes
unbelievably streamlined.

This functionality has been a standardized feature in OS X programs from the
beginning (going on 12 years) and might have been present in pre-OS X OS's from
Apple (I can't recall for sure).

Some will recall that I have discussed this before, so I hate to be redundant,
but I believe this is a very useful approach (and not exclusive to the
highlight-all approach) and is sorely missed by OS X users. And it can be
implemented in such a way that the more laborious approach is available in its
current form--that's the way OS X does it, with sort of the "long" way and the
"power user" way both available.

Jerry